Find an unusual retreat to find some stress relief. The same old may not be working.
An aimless approach to stress relief provides little comfort
Wandering aimlessly in life might sound like a good option, however as soon as you want to achieve something the stress kicks in and it must be controlled in order to avoid health and other issues. It can be stressful wanting to be in business and it can be stressful when you get there.
Are in control of the rest of your life, or you should be. Business is so exciting today, so much so that many people do not control their stressors. Not understanding what stresses you can quickly lead to burnout. And burnout is can come about so easy when you don’t understand the difference between distress and eustress.
Stress comes in two ways
- When you start to worry and get frustrated about what you have to do to achieve what you want, or whether you can actually achieve it at all. Distress can also come for bad experiences, a death in the family, a business failure and so on.
- Eustress comes about when you are excited about achieving something, it is the ‘positive’ stress that keeps us vital and excited about life in general. The excitement of a roller-coaster ride, a scary movie, or an enjoyable challenge are all examples of eustress.
Eustress is very important to have in our lives, as without it, we would become dysfunctional and distressed and even feel a lack of meaning in life. Not striving for goals, not overcoming challenges, not having a reason to wake up in the morning can be damaging to us, so eustress is considered ‘good’ stress. It keeps us healthy and happy.
“The greatest weapon we have against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another”. William James
Despite there being the good and the bad in our lives both affect our health in the same way and it is excessive stress that leads to health, relationship and other problems we certainly don’t want and is one reason many people never want to accomplish anything worthwhile; they are not prepared to pay the price.
It doesn’t have to be that way
There are things we can do to accomplish our aspirations and live a healthy life. The less bad stress the more energy and focus.
- Handling the stressors – Eustress helps us to view many of the stressors in your life as ‘challenges’ rather than ‘threats’, delivering extra very important energy to handle these stressors, without a feeling of being overwhelmed or unhappy.
- A cost or, an investment – A mind shift here can make all the difference. When you look at your costs as investments your mind will automatically start to look at opportunities to make the investment work well for your Thinking of ‘costs’ will have a very negative impact and it can become a real barrier to your progress.
- Your passion – Take time to really understand your passion, what is it you would really like to do with your business or your life. What are your purpose, vision and objectives? Knowing and aligning everything with your passion will help you to set a clear direction for the future while giving your relief from much unwanted negative stress?
- Write it down – If you want something to happen it usually happens quicker and better when you write things down. It helps to clarify your thoughts and remove the waffle. Writing can be relaxing and it can certainly give stress relief. Start with writing better content for your business or non-profit organisation.
- Plan and prioritise – You can’t do everything at once. Take time to establish the most important tasks that will have the biggest impact and do them first, second… You will now have more time to do them as you will have planned the unimportant tasks you have been doing, out of your life.
- Set deadlines – If you want to accomplish anything, then you need to set timelines and deadlines for accomplishing the various tasks that need to be done. Deadlines set without a proper timeline heightens stress levels
- The hard part – Now you have to take action in order to make things happen. If you have done the other things well you will be surprised how quickly you will start to move forward and enjoy the journey. Without action, good things rarely happen.
- Improve discipline – Strengthen your resolve to achieve your aspirations and focus on doing the important tasks and doing something every day that will move you closer to your vision and the lifestyle you want, no more excuses.
You don’t have to be a great runner in order to get stress relief. All forms of exercise, including yoga and walking, can provide you with stress relief by helping your brain to release feel-good chemicals and by giving your body a chance to practice dealing with stress.
[read more=”Personal Experience” less=”Personal Experience”]
Relax and tune into your body. You deserve it, it’s good for you, and it takes less time than you think to gain real stress relief.
I have found my networks are one of your best ways to bring about stress relief. When I feel a stressful situation emerging, I talk to others sharing thoughts about what’s going on. It often gives me objectivity and a fresh perspective and usually puts things into proper context.